Sunday, July 26, 2015

Big Progress!

Even though there's much to do on our vintage camper's structure, I'm already taking advantage of family sewing skills to get the curtains and throw pillows made. Thanks to my daughter and granddaughter, we will soon have custom aqua and pink curtains for every window, lined with white broadcloth to resist sun fading.

Mad Curtain Making Skills!
When I say I have NO sewing skills, I'm not exaggerating. I think I've even sewn through my fingernail before. But I'm not afraid to ask for help!

Here's a view of the layout and cutting phase (nothing to sneeze at when you're making ten pairs of curtains!) Thank God for Hancock Fabrics and their sales is all I'm saying.

Due to mechanical problems, we didn't make much progress sewing this weekend, but everything's cut out, pinned and ready to sew as soon as the machine is back from the shop. So grateful for talented family members!

We've also come to love Harbor Freight, purveyor off all things trailer-related. Got a great deal on a trailer dolly (to position the camper in the campsite), found an oscillating multipurpose tool to cut through the birch sheeting without damaging the underlying frame, and looked at deep cycle batteries and solar recharge systems.

Side 2 Halfway There
Side 2 Down to the Metal
Even more progress made today as ninety percent of the paint has been removed from the aluminum skin and we'll soon be priming for a new paint job. Here are before and after photos.
Hubs Tearing Out Hair 
Last thing to report for this weekend--the hubs has finished pulling out all the water damaged birch sheeting and a couple framing boards that concerned him. Required removing the closet above the propane Dometic fridge, but he managed that with his usual skill. He did, however, request that I post a pic of him tearing out his hair mid-project!


All in all a good weekend's work. Looking forward to even more progress in the next couple of weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment