Friday, August 21, 2015

Amber Shellac and Other Delights

I have a confession to make...I've developed a passion for Amber Shellac. That is to say, I am crazy about the liquid gold that's transforming the interior of our '61 Mobile Scout, Sweet Melissa. Spent the evening taking the doors off throughout the camper and removing their hardware, then giving them a light sand and a coat of Zinsser Bullseye Amber Shellac.

Camper redo purists would probably have stripped the old shellac and started over, but I'm fond of the vintage vibe of simply adding a shiny, gold coating to all the wood surfaces. I'll let you decide, here's photo evidence of the evening's activities:


 And to prove just how much I love Amber Shellac, I felt compelled to finish the header above the dinette, 'just to see what it would look like'. And then I painted the front of the kitchen cabinet frame. And then I did a test strip on the ceiling. Seriously, this stuff is addictive. I'm even thinking about shellacking my living room floor!

 

Update on the Hubs

Lest you think my hubby was sitting on the patio, smoking a cigar and watching me work, I've also included him in tonight's photo essay. He's been busy at work fabricating and installing new frame pieces. Always amazed to see what he's able to do! 

What's next? Looks like I'll be spending the weekend (except for the big 6-0 birthday party!) cleaning 50 years of gunk off of vintage coppertone hinges and travel-proof latches. Can't reinstall the doors and drawers yet, but I can, at least, have them hardwared to the hilt in preparation.

The best part? As soon as I get the hubs gone somewhere, I'll be going crazy with the Amber Shellac on the rest of the camper's wood surfaces! Can't wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment